The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 17 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 7, Norris - 12
  • May 15 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Blair - 0
  • May 13 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 6, Duchesne - 1
  • May 13 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, Elkhorn North - 1
  • May 11 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 2, Bennington - 0
  • May 11 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Plattsmouth - 4
  • May 8 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 12, Scotus - 3
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Spill your ‘Guts’: Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album excels in growth, vulnerability

Brayden Hansen reviews, ranks songs on album
Brayden Hansen

-REVIEW-

The standard edition of “Guts” consists of 12 tracks. (Geffen Records)

American singer-songwriter, Olivia Rodrigo’s, sophomore album “Guts” emulates a refreshing new outlook on the teenage experience and Rodrigo’s personal troubles.  The album made its debut on Sept. 8, and immediately pulled at the heartstrings of teenagers globally.

Being a fan of Rodrigo since even before she began her music career, I have highly anticipated “Guts’” release. Overall the album as a collective sounds stunning, however each song has different strengths and weaknesses. Here they are ranked from the bottom up.

12) Lacy

“Lacy” immediately draws listeners in with its heavenly feeling. The song’s meaning isn’t directly spoken, but fans have pieced together what they believe “Lacy” portrays. It is believed by fans that “Lacy” is about Sabrina Carpenter. Rodrigo sings, “You got the one thing that I want” about Carpenter being an opener for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, which was a dream of Rodrigo’s. This song is low on the list because it never really interested me like other songs on “Guts.” It is also not as relatable as some of Rodrigo’s other songs. 

11) Logical

“Logical” stood out to me for its clever songwriting. Rodrigo sings, “Cause if rain don’t pour and sun don’t shine, then changing you is possible” being a reference to the title, and how love isn’t logical. “Logical” intrigues listeners to want to learn more about the relationship Rodrigo is singing about.

10) All American B****

“All American B****” shone in its ability to seamlessly change back and forth between an upbeat, rock vibe to a slower and softer one. This was an excellent choice to open the album, showcasing both sides of Rodrigo’s musical spectrum. The rockier verses of the song stood out for just being pure teen angst. 

9) Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl

“Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl” tells the story of Rodrigo’s social awkwardness due to being homeschooled. Rodrigo sings, “I laughed at the wrong time, sat with the wrong guy, searching how to start a conversation on a website.” Rodrigo almost pokes fun at her old experiences, knowing she has outgrown that phase today.

8) Bad Idea Right?

“Bad Idea Right?” is another song that demonstrates Rodrigo’s rockier, more intense side. “Bad Idea Right?” tells the story of getting back together with an ex, even though she knows it’s wrong. The song, while not being something personally relatable, was still an engaging and enjoyable listen.

7) Vampire

“Vampire” was a solid choice as the lead single for “Guts.” The songwriting is some of the best off this album. Rodrigo compares her old relationship to a vampire. Rodrigo sings, “The way you sold me for parts, as you sunk your teeth into me.” The comparison of her old relationship to vampires was unlike anything I’ve heard before, keeping me engaged throughout the listen.

6) Teenage Dream

“Teenage Dream” was written during a difficult period of Rodrigo’s life. Rodrigo was struggling with the pressure of writing a sophomore album after the success of her debut album “Sour.” Rodrigo sings, “But I fear that they already got all the best parts of me.” This song was an outstanding way to wrap up the album. Unfortunately, “Teenage Dream” has been widely underappreciated among listeners.

5) Pretty Isn’t Pretty

“Pretty Isn’t Pretty” is one of the more delicate songs on the album. Rodrigo sings about beauty standards and trying to keep up with trends constantly changing. Rodrigo sings, “Cause pretty isn’t pretty enough anyway.” This song does an amazing job at  helping to break beauty standards, and to encourage listeners to be more confident.

4) Love Is Embarrassing

“Love Is Embarrassing” is a song almost every teenager could relate to. Rodrigo sings about how love can be unusual, especially to younger people. Teenage years are full of experimentation, and that can be embarrassing. The cheery beat and the more serious topic of the lyrics may seem like an unusual combo, but Rodrigo makes it sound stunning.

3) Get Him Back!

“Get Him Back!” immediately intrigued me with its double meaning. Rodrigo sings, “I want sweet revenge, and I want him again.” Rodrigo wants to “get back” at a previous boyfriend, but also wants to “get him back,” as in get their relationship back. “Get Him Back!” is one of those songs you can scream in the car, and maybe dance to with friends, making it an immediate hit.

2) The Grudge

“The Grudge” has a slower beat than the other songs on this album. But although it’s slow, its impact is vast. Rodrigo sings about the pain that a past relationship caused. Rodrigo holds a “grudge” against this person. Rodrigo sings, “It takes strength to forgive, but I don’t feel strong.” The dejected lyrics makes this song pack a punch, while also containing a lot of emotion.

1) Making The Bed

“Making The Bed” almost instantly became a fan favorite. Rodrigo sings about feeling disillusioned with her rise to fame. The title “Making The Bed” is symbolism for Rodrigo’s own actions affecting her emotions. “Making The Bed” has some of the most emotionally impactful  lyrics out of the whole album. Rodrigo sings, “I got the things I wanted, it’s just not what I imagined.” 

“Guts” has been well received by fans, not just in the U.S., but globally. According to Spotify, “Guts” was the top album globally on Spotify for the period Sept. 8 to Sept. 14. 

Fans will be seeing much more from Rodrigo as she recently announced the “Guts World Tour,” which will be coming to the Omaha CHI Health Center arena on March 13.