Preparing for first pitch, juniors Tyler Cox, Easton Leahy, Nolan Green and Curran Boswell along with sophomore Carson Herrmann give out fistbumps on the first-base line.
Autumn Green

Let the Players Play

Baseball team faces backlash following major win

40-1. Not many words explain how a baseball team can allow 40 players to score against them. It was pure domination from the Griffins as they took on the Omaha Buena Vista Bison, who have one win in team history. The Griffins entered the game with a 5-0 record, a major upper hand, and wanted to add another win to their column. When the final out of the game was recorded, a new record was set in Class A baseball for the most runs in a game.

Spectators and critics took to X, formerly known as Twitter, and immediately shamed the Griffins for scoring this many runs. Podcasts were even made on the game and what it meant for Class A baseball. One X user even said that the Griffins had “ruined” baseball and that the coaches had no respect for the game. This team shouldn’t get this criticism for doing what any other team would do in this situation, especially when the rules are the way they are. Maybe it’s not a matter of sportsmanship or competition, but rather a problem with rules.

Despite the backlash, the team did everything any other team would do when it came to this situation. During the game, the Bison stopped the Griffin base runners from advancing bases and stealing bags. On top of that, players who hadn’t played a game so far this season got in the game. What else are they supposed to do? Purposely get out? This is a first-year team that is trying to stand their ground in a competitive landscape, yet they get criticized for playing exactly how any other team would. On top of that, they were following exactly what their coaches told them to do. Maybe it’s not the Griffins’ fault, but rather time to change the mercy rule.

“After it was four to nothing, we stopped running, stopped taking bases and they told us to have class,” junior shortstop Nolan Green said. “We don’t pay attention to it (the critics). We know how we play and people that were there know how the game went, so that’s all that matters.”

As a first-year team, trying to assert themselves as a top team wasn’t a guarantee. All the Griffins wanted was to make an impact early on in the season, and they were given a line-up of teams who in years prior weren’t very successful. The Griffins did exactly what they wanted to: try to set the stage and get the advantage. Now through ten games, they have a 123-12 run differential.

These teams they played may be Class A, but in reality, they would likely match well against lower Class B or C teams. The NSAA needs to find a way to schedule these teams based on talent instead of putting them out there against top athletes, creating unfair games.

Somehow though, the Griffins are still getting criticized for this win. People are mad that they went “too far” and believe that they should’ve stopped the game early. They shouldn’t have to play a minimum of five innings in the first place. In their opening game against Omaha Benson, they scored 26 runs in the first inning, and 17 against Buena Vista during this game. The damage would have been limited if there had been a mercy rule after three innings. The coaches did everything they could in both these games: not intending to run up the score and just allowing their athletes to play.

“We’ve kind of been in the situation before against Benson where we just shut it down,” assistant coach Matthew Renshaw said regarding letting the team score. “We don’t want to take them (the bat) out of their hand, so we let them swing and play their game.”

As the season continues down the stretch, the Griffins are going to be on the backend of this competition. Facing off against top teams such as Norris and Millard South, competition is going to be at their highest. Getting off to a start like this shouldn’t be criticized, especially when they’re playing the game the way it’s supposed to be played. Instead, it might be time to take a look at the rules for when a game should end or what teams are playing each other.