The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1
  • May 2 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Ralston - 2
  • May 1 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 2, The Platte - 0
  • Apr 30 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Skutt - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 6, O. Northwest - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Conestoga - 1
  • Apr 29 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Waverly - 0
  • Apr 24 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 3, O. North - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

ACMS’ ‘Spongebob: The Musical’ takes unique approach with help of GEHS students

On+stage%2C+Zoey+Zarling+practices+her+role+as+Spongebob.+Zarling+is+on+the+Sponge+team+as+the+lead.+
Benjamin Saul
On stage, Zoey Zarling practices her role as Spongebob. Zarling is on the “Sponge” team as the lead.

Most musicals and plays use one full cast of characters to portray the story, but when more than 50 students audition, it’s hard to not include everyone. “Spongebob: The Musical” at ACMS strives to include everyone’s efforts by double-casting the production. Two whole casts of characters perform separately called the “Sponge” and “Star” teams, but the ensemble stays for both shows. Performances are tonight, April 20 and Monday, April 22 at Aspen Creek Middle School starting at 5:30 p.m. with free admission. 

They all learned everything together and will even be present for each other’s shows,” director and ACMS music teacher Benjamin Saul said. “Double casting in this way also helped the students keep each other accountable; if one lead missed a rehearsal they could check in with their role partner and learn anything they missed in their absence.”

Both casts and crew have practiced since late February.

“There are many challenges when it comes to putting on a show, including memorization, our soundboard being messed with every week, monitors not working correctly, set ideas, and background singing and dancing,” seventh-grader and Pearl’s actress on team “Sponge” Ava Windiknecht said. “Although we have these difficulties now, we become better and learn from our mistakes. I love how everyone is eager to help out when needed.”

In addition to all of the middle school students, Gretna East students also helped with the production.

“They remind me of me when I was younger,” junior Evelyn Arnold said. “We want to make sure that middle schoolers do as much as they can because it’s not ours. So we’ve mostly been mixing paint and outlining compositions they can paint and color.”

The ACMS production is grateful for the help from the GEHS students and everyone involved.

None of this show is possible without Calvin Schlautman, Mia Cacioppo, Evelyn and Nyssa Arnold, Jackson Windeknecht, Colton Knott, Jada Randecker, Bri Wozniak, Nicole Schlautman, Mr. Wallace and the countless parents and students who volunteered their time throughout the whole season, including the 44 hours students spent optionally painting over spring break with me,” Saul said. “Every person involved has committed their time because they love what they do and want to be spectacular. Their best is always enough and it is the biggest blessing for me to have the opportunity to see them fall in love with music and theater.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Wingspan
$100
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Gretna East High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.