The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 17 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 7, Norris - 12
  • May 15 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Blair - 0
  • May 13 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 6, Duchesne - 1
  • May 13 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, Elkhorn North - 1
  • May 11 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 2, Bennington - 0
  • May 11 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Plattsmouth - 4
  • May 8 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 12, Scotus - 3
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Downtown Gretna buzzes on Saturdays with first annual farmers market

Attending to her child, Gretna Middle School media specialist, Kelly Strunk, shops at the Gretna farmers market. “We went the first week and have gone back a couple of times since then,” Strunk said. “We prefer the local meat and produce stands.” (Onnika Moore)
Gracie Goodwin of Aleece’s Sugar Shoppe works at her booth selling cookies baked from family recipes. The Omaha-based company found the Gretna farmers market to be the right size event for them. (Onnika Moore)

Morning sun filtering through stands, the smell of fresh caramel corn and the buzzing aura of community throughout Gretna are all sights seen when entering the Gretna farmers market located under the market pavilion between 3rd Street and 4th Street along Huey P. Long Avenue.  Even though the festivities only take up half of downtown Gretna and just debuted this year, there are plenty of activities and vendors offering fresh produce, prepared foods and assorted homemade goods to keep the average customer busy.

Farmers markets are outside shopping outlets of pure local goodness. Often open for the summer, farmers markets make a delightful summer activity. Gretna’s is open every Saturday from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., rain or shine. At the Gretna farmers market, every business has its own story, rooted in family and community, and all work together on McKenna Ave. to create a homemade and inviting atmosphere for visitors and customers. Depending on the week, the number of businesses varies from a dozen to over 20 stands, each with a distinct and unique array of products.

Dustin Lorenson owns a bakery food truck, Brandemic Bakery, based in Waverly and had the opportunity to take his business to the recently established Gretna farmers market. They sell a variety of sourdough bread with multiple flavors, such as raisin, almond, and Everything bagel seasoning. So far, they seem to be a hit, even selling out some weeks. 

“Gretna’s Farmers Market is the largest one I’ve been part of,” Lorenson said. ” My bread is very time-consuming, so I only produce so much inventory. Gretna’s market is the perfect size for me as I can meet customers’ demands while working the number of hours I’m comfortable with.”

Aleece’s Sugar Shoppe is another bakery finding a home in Gretna’s farmers market. Gracie Goodwin started by selling her mother’s chocolate chip recipe to friends and family. Now it’s evolved into a professional business that caters fresh desserts to events, craft fairs, etc. In addition to their traditional cookies, they also sell several different gluten free cookies and a sugar free chocolate chip cookie.

“It’s really nice,” Goodwin said. “We’ve only been here for a few weeks, but we love it down here.”

Along with providing a sturdy business venture for artisans and creators, vendors and customers find it an inviting experience perfect for the summer. Compared to the lengthy and maze-like Omaha and Lincoln farmers markets, many attendees have found Gretna’s to be a perfect, bite-sized outing to spice up a Saturday morning. 

“It is a nice start for the first year with a nice variety of stands,” Gretna Middle School media specialist Kelly Strunk said. “We are looking forward to seeing it grow. I am happy to see the number of shoppers that are there.”

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Wingspan
$100
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Gretna East High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.