Baseball team gears up for State Title game

Griffins wait out weather, beat Blair to punch ticket to championship game
After scoring the third run of the inning against Blair, third baseman, junior Tanner Erdkamp tosses his helmet and runs back to the dugout to celebrate with his team during the State semifinal matchup.
Laci Smith

Coming off a second-round, 3-1 victory over Elkhorn North, the Griffins took on the Blair Bears Wednesday night for a trip to the State Championship on the line. Following a nearly 2-hour weather delay, the Griffins took the field at 6 p.m. to resume the top of the second inning. They scored five runs and batted around the order in an action-packed inning. The final run of the second inning, by first basemen sophomore Colton Nicholson, was the last point earned in the game. was the only scoring of the game as the Griffins took the win 5-0.
With the win, the Griffins advanced in the bracket and will face off against the Norris Titians in the Class B State Championship today at 3:30 p.m.. They will play a one-game series, with the winner taking home the coveted, gold, Nebraska-shaped trophy.
The Griffins come into the game with a record of 20-7. Catcher, junior Easton Leahy leads the team in hits with 23 and also with a 0.315 average. Pitcher, junior Trevor Cox, leads the team in strikeouts on the season with 52 alongside a 3.07 earned run average.
As for the Titans, they come into the game with a record of 24-5. The top bat for the Titans, shortstop senior Kale Fountain is committed to Louisiana State University. His brother, first basemen sophomore Bryce Fountain is committed to the University of Nebraska.
Adding to the list of players who will possibly be unable to play for the Griffins is shortstop, junior Nolan Green who rolled his ankle running to second base after a fly-out to the center field in last night’s game. He is questionable to play on Friday joining outfielder, sophomore Nolan Iverson, who tore his UCL, ending his season and Leahy, who tore his also tore his UCL earlier in the season, forcing him to only be able to hit as the designated hitter
The Griffins look to obtain their fourth state title as a first-year school, their others being in One Act, Journalism and Girls Soccer.
Students wanting to attend the game will be dismissed at 2:25 p.m., or after seventh period. The first pitch is set for 3:30 p.m. at Werner Park. The Class C championship takes place directly before at noon, and the Class A championship at 7:00 p.m.