The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1
  • May 2 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Ralston - 2
  • May 1 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 2, The Platte - 0
  • Apr 30 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Skutt - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 6, O. Northwest - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Conestoga - 1
  • Apr 29 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Waverly - 0
  • Apr 24 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 3, O. North - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Three days, three wins

Girls soccer team wins invitational, shuts out Buena Vista
Brayden Hansen
Dribbling the ball, junior Kendall Dobberstein makes her way down the field with two Millard South defenders closing in during game one of the Millard South Invite on April 16.

Tonight at six, the girls soccer team will take on another Omaha Public Schools team at home after shutting out Buena Vista 10-0 on Wednesday night bringing their record to 13-1 for the season so far. The Griffins face off against the Omaha North Vikings in their second to last game of the season.

The Vikings are currently 4-9 with a losing streak of three games. In comparison, the Griffins are 13-1 with a win streak of five games. The girls have won eight home games straight. During the Buena Vista game, center-back, junior Ella Johns received the title “Player of the Game”. She scored her first goal of the season against the Bison and showed teamwork and good sportsmanship the whole game on and off the field.

“It felt good because it was my first goal this season,” Johns said. “In the moment, I thought Karli Williams was going to take it, but then I ended up with the goal. And it just felt good because I haven’t scored this season.”

Earlier this week, The Griffins won the Millard South Invitational in two shut-out games. There were major plays Monday night against the Papillion-LaVista South Titans to secure the game, but three juniors stuck out as massive assets that night. Forward, junior Sonora DeFini led the team in goals with a goal in both game periods. Midfielder junior Kendall Doberstein also contributed a goal in the second period. Also, defensive midfielder, junior Camryn Reeson played a powerful defensive position in the game, being named “Player of the Game” for her exceptional showcase of skill by the Griffin coaches.

“Getting named ‘Player of the Game’ feels great because it means that I’ve worked hard in my position and I deserved it,” Reeson said. “Getting that title means working really hard, communicating and working your hardest.”

On Tuesday night, the girls took home the championship of the invitational against the Millard South Patriots with a final score of 1-0. Doberstein dominated again by scoring a goal in the second period of the game, adding to her total of 16 goals, now 20 goals in total this season.

“We all get along really well, we enjoy each other’s presence, and we’re all athletic, so our ability on the soccer field just connects really well,” DeFini said.

The girl’s only loss this season came from Marian, who has a tying record of 13-1, with their only loss coming from Lincoln Southwest who is not on the Griffin’s schedule. After tonight, they will only have one more game before they take a shot at Sub-Districts. The girls will have a rematch against Papillion-La Vista South at home on April 23.
Sub-districts will start on April 27, with the time and schedule to be announced.