The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1
  • May 2 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Ralston - 2
  • May 1 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 2, The Platte - 0
  • Apr 30 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Skutt - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 6, O. Northwest - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Conestoga - 1
  • Apr 29 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Waverly - 0
  • Apr 24 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 3, O. North - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Planting seeds, spreading awareness Green Team to celebrate Earth Day

Science+teacher+and+Green+Team+sponsor+Sierra+Arnold+is+known+for+the+abundance+of+plants+in+her+classroom+that+are+kept+under+UV+light.+
Leena Macklin
Science teacher and Green Team sponsor Sierra Arnold is known for the abundance of plants in her classroom that are kept under UV light.

Earth Day was founded to inspire environmental activism and planet preservation, and on Monday, April 22, the school’s Green Team is planning to do just that. They will be hosting a Planting Party to show members and anyone interested how to plant seeds from kitchen scraps. There will be two sessions, one with Green Team sponsor Sierra Arnold at 7:15 a.m. and another with science teacher Cody Thompson at 3:20 p.m. Both sessions will take place in Arnold’s room (122).

Students are encouraged to bring seeds from home for the activity. Those who bring their own supplies can start planting right away, but materials will be offered to those who don’t. Students will put soil into their planting container, add water and mix the contents to allow the correct amount of oxygen flow. Then they will add the seeds and place them into the sun.

“Green Team wants to show how easy it is to interact with the environment,” Arnold said, “By planting these seeds, you are developing a basic gardening skill set that can serve you later in life as you can grow your own produce rather than going to the store to purchase these things.”

The inspiration for this project comes from wanting to positively impact the environment while also making participation easy and fun.

“Green team wanted to do something hands-on but practical,” Arnold said, “Planting a tree in the courtyard sounds like a great idea, but just isn’t practical.” 

After planting, students will have a few options for what they can do with their newly potted seeds. 

Our plants will either go home with the members or stay with Mrs. Arnold in her classroom,” junior Cecelia Hansen said.

This event marks a new kind of activity for Green Team as they have focused on recycling-related activities rather than planting this year. They started the aluminum recycling initiative and are in charge of collecting cans weekly. They also host can-crushing parties to minimize the waste of the cans they collect. However, this gardening activity is opening new possibilities for them.

“Everyone is excited to try something new,” Hansen said.

Those who are interested in becoming a member of Green Team can join the Google Classroom using the code: acnritt.