The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1
  • May 2 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Ralston - 2
  • May 1 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 2, The Platte - 0
  • Apr 30 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Skutt - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 6, O. Northwest - 0
  • Apr 29 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 5, Conestoga - 1
  • Apr 29 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Waverly - 0
  • Apr 24 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 3, O. North - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Here comes the sun…kinda

GPS schools to view partial solar eclipse
Photo via Canva

Taking advantage of this astronomical phenomenon, Gretna Public Schools students will be viewing the partial solar eclipse across all grade levels. 

A partial solar eclipse is when the moon passes between the sun and Earth, obstructing the view of the sun. For this partial solar eclipse, the Omaha area will experience 79.9% visibility.

On Monday, April 8, every school will be viewing the solar eclipse at 1:50 p.m. for approximately 10 to 15 minutes according to admin. For both high schools, it will be during their seventh period. Eclipse glasses will be distributed to students at the being of that period and will be collected when the student returns to class.

“Every time we see a natural phenomenon like that we need to take advantage of it there’s no question about it,” science teacher Paul Beran said. 

Solar glasses are required for all students to wear. They are critical to protecting eyes by reducing visible sunlight, and blocking ultraviolet rays and infrared radiation.

To create this learning opportunity, the GPS admin met to discuss this procedure last week. 

“All principals K-12 meet with Central Office each week to discuss topics that impact student learning in the district,” principal Chad Jepsen wrote. “We discussed the educational significance of this event and how it could be effectively incorporated into lessons at all levels. We also followed similar procedures several years ago when we had a solar eclipse that was visible during the school year.”

Along with both high schools, all GPS elementary and middle schools will be participating. This will provide a unique opportunity for GPS students.

“Somewhere out there, there’s gonna be a kid that’s gonna change his way of thinking because of it,” Beran said. “It could be over at the elementary school, or at the middle school and they’re gonna become a scientist, and it may not be astronomy, but their interest is gonna change.”