Rolling the dice: Dungeons and Dragons Club sparks imagination, connection among students

Playing through their campaign on Feb. 1, Katelyn Clayton (9) and Abigail Sullivan (9) laugh with the rest of their campaign group.
Brayden Hansen

The air is intense as friends face their next threat. The 20-sided dice knock against the table. Just when they get their hopes up, it lands on the lowest possible outcome: unlucky, number one…

Gameplay like that can only be found in one game: Dungeons and Dragons. Dungeons and Dragons, commonly referred to as D&D, is a fantasy, role-playing game that has inspired much creativity, adventure and fun for over 50 years.  The well-known Netflix original series “Stranger Things” has sparked a sudden interest in the game, among teens. Joining the craze, English teacher Michaela Weber now sponsors an official D&D club.

To play D&D “you sit around a table with friends and play as a character that you designed,” Weber said. “They battle monsters, solve puzzles, build team and communication skills that will help them in future academic and career endeavors.”

The club meets every Thursday in Weber’s room, room 218. Whether someone is familiar with the game or even if they know nothing about D&D, the club encourages anyone interested to stop by and join in.

“We’re always open to more folks who want to come in,” Weber said. “Even if it’s just, you want to come one time and see what it’s about.”

While Weber welcomes anyone to join, the game is a bit lengthy, so new members may need to attend several times. In D&D, players can play through pre-made stories or come up with their own. These stories, or campaigns, can vary in length and depth, some lasting weeks. One player is named the “dungeon master” who is in charge of the story the other players participate in. Players use various dice to determine their actions and come up with their own storylines. 

“It’s mostly chilling with your friends coming up with fun stories,” freshman Brayden Beyer said. “I like how you get to be creative.”

While the game itself may be thrilling for members, the culture of the club keeps them coming back. 

“It’s a chaotic atmosphere,” freshman Sydnee Barr said. “It’s very fun. Lots of action going on.”

If a student isn’t interested in the D&D side of things, the club also plays various other strategy games such as chess, UNO, Catan and more.

The club has become a haven for some students according to Weber. A place to “just kind of hang out in a space of like-minded individuals.”

Weber enjoys sponsoring a space where students can feel like they belong, just hang out and have fun. 

“I know I would’ve wanted a place to hang out and make up cool stories with my friends when I was a student, so I’m very happy to be that place for my students,” Weber said.