Teacher’s story of missing uncle inspires creative writing class

DNA test reveals deep-rooted secret
In 1956, English teacher Blaine Christens uncle, Leo Christen, went missing. His car was found near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
In 1956, English teacher Blaine Christen’s uncle, Leo Christen, went missing. His car was found near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
Ranae Duncan

Trying to inspire his first-hour Intro. to Creative Writing class for their nonfiction narrative projects right before winter, English teacher Blaine

Christen told the unsolved, true story of his uncle who went missing and shocked the class with its ending.

“I was like, that’s insane,” sophomore creative writing student Lilianna Sherfield said, “I was just dumbfounded.”

Blaine told his story to inspire a more journalistic style of creative writing and to promote the idea that everyone has a story to tell.

Infographic by Leena Macklin
The telling of his story was a success as his students ended up producing narratives recounting their childhood memories and the telling of anecdotes from their own relatives.

“I tried my best to make my narrative as interesting as his, but a road trip doesn’t really compare to a real-life mystery,” sophomore Brooklynn Porter said. Porter has since advanced into Christen’s Creative Writing classes and continues to pull inspiration from Blaine’s first-semester story.

“His story has sparked some new ideas,” Porter said. “I personally love writing dramas, so the idea of that is rather fascinating.”