The Student News Site of Gretna East High School

The Wingspan

Recent Scores
  • May 17 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 7, Norris - 12
  • May 15 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Blair - 0
  • May 13 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 6, Duchesne - 1
  • May 13 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, Elkhorn North - 1
  • May 11 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 2, Bennington - 0
  • May 11 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 5, Plattsmouth - 4
  • May 8 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 12, Scotus - 3
  • May 4 / V. Boys SoccerGretna East High School - 0, Elkhorn North - 2
  • May 4 / V. Girls SoccerGretna East High School - 10, Plattsmouth - 0
  • May 3 / V. BaseballGretna East High School - 3, North Platte - 1

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Comedy Resurrected: ‘No Hard Feelings’ shines with hilarity, vulnerability

IMDb

-REVIEW-

“No Hard Feelings” was a savior to the entire comedy genre, and that is not an overstatement. It did something other comedies had not done for years: just being unhinged.

Jennifer Lawrence delivered a stand-out performance as Maddie, a financially struggling, 32-year-old Montauk native. Maddie is secretly paid to bring Percy, played by Andrew Barth Feldman, out of his shell before college. This duo, along with the writing, skillfully blended humor, vulnerability, and empathy in a heartwarming, and refreshing way.

From the start, the movie felt like a genuine comedy, hitting some of the classic tropes which is something that newer movies lack. With storylines like the transformation of a nerdy character, and the protagonist needing money to save her house. Also more minor things like calling back to little details or moments, and making the movie a sort of underdog story. But while the comedy is classic, it was still extremely relevant and written with modern humor in mind. 

While it was undeniably a laugh-out-loud experience, the film also made the audience deeply invested in the characters’ complex relationships. Lawrence played a zany bartender-uber driver. On the other hand, Feldman played a timid yet endearing teenager. Together they made for a hilarious and surprisingly balanced pair. 

Lawrence and Feldman effortlessly made each scene elicit laughter or empathy from the audience. Practically every scene was hilarious, like when Maddie attempted to walk up a flight of stairs in rollerskates, or when Percy found himself lying on the hood of Maddie’s car while she sped, and especially when Maddie fought three teenagers, while completely naked. 

Despite the laughter and jaw-dropping moments, this movie was a testament to Lawrence’s talent, and a dazzling cinematic debut for Feldman. Although they showed an impressive showcase of comedy, there was an undeniable stand-out moment that evoked tears rather than laughter. 

Percy performed an extremely compelling cover of Hall and Oates’ “Maneater,” which pulled at the heartstrings of myself and everyone around me. This scene did an outstanding job of creating more depth to the characters’ relationship and created a better understanding of both of the protagonists. This was done through the emotions of both Lawrence and Feldman and made it my personal favorite. The song was beautiful and unexpected, and the choice of it for relating to the narrative was genius on the writer’s part. It was not only an impactful moment for the audience, but one for the story itself. 

The beginning, ending, and everything in between were perfect, and I could not have asked for a better end. The ending was satisfying and comforting as well. 

Overall “No Hard Feelings” was an undoubtedly hilarious, charming and heartwarming masterpiece. It went for all the feelings and got me in every aspect. The writing, characters and overall story went above and beyond, making it an impressive and memorable addition to the genre.